It’s the new season and your home looks like it needs some freshening up style wise. Unfortunately for you, you are on a serious budget. What do you do? Why you breathe new life into some old items in your home. Before you know it your house has been transformed into a new and improved paradise. But best of all you save some green. So what are you waiting for? Get to DIY-ing!
Project 1: Sea Shell Box
- Wooden box
- Plastic Gloves (Optional)
- Paint brushes of assorted sizes
- Non Toxic Craft paint ( In my case by PLAID in Laguna and White for mixing)
- Sheet of copper foil
- Sea Shells, Beads, Fresh Water Pearls, etc.
- Glue gun
- Mod Podge
- Make sure your box is clean before you begin to paint then begin to mix your colors until you reach your desired shade.
- Begin to paint your box one side at a time. The great thing about this paint is that it dries quickly so even though you will need a few coats to reach the right opacity it will not take you all day. Let your box fully dry before you begin the next step.
- Take your copper foil and cut it to your desired size. Add a layer of Mod Podge to the foil and box. Firmly press the foil in place and let it dry. Then use the glue gun on the corners of the copper foil to keep it in place.
- Now it’s time to select your sea shells. Be careful not to stab your foil because it dents easily and will not iron out. Then add some glue to the bottoms of your selected shells and glue in place. I chose a large shell for the center so it can be a knob, which makes it stylish and functional.
I hope this inspired you to do some DIY projects on some old items in your home. Who needs to buy something new when you can spruce up an old friend? So take some time to get creative. Happy DIY-ing!!!